Tuesday, May 6, 2008

For the Birds.......


The Great End of Life is Not Knowledge But Action.

~Thomas Henry Huxley







I decided to make petite bird feeders to put in my yard. I found the recipe in one of Sandra Lee's cookbooks. They were very easy to make. I used my vintage jell-o molds for the forms.
You will need:
non-stick cooking spray aluminum foil
1 cup wild birdseed
2 egg whites lightly beaten

Line your mold with the aluminum foil, spray heavily with non-stick cooking spray. Mix one cup of wild birdseed with the egg whites. Pour into your mold. Makes one 4" shape of your choice. Put your mold on a cooking sheet and bake for 10 - 15 minutes in a 325 degree oven. Place on a rack to cool.


While the birdfeeder is still warm, use a dowel rod or a skewer to poke a hole about an inch from the top. When your birdfeeder cools you can put a wire or a piece of raffia thru the hole to hang your feeder.

I'm looking forward to the feathered friends in the garden this summer! I started several varieties of flower seeds. The sunflowers are growing like crazy! I'll show you, soon.

No comments: